Saturday, September 12, 2009

Malaria -- bring it.

Back to the doctors today after about our third night in a row of no sleep.

Assuming that Danaa had a worse infection than originally diagnosed, I went in prepared for the worst.

Came out with Danaa on new antibiotics for his ear (he is truly miserable, and the puss has now been oozing out for almost two weeks now).

But oh no. It doesn't stop there! Dawen is now being treated for malaria! He has had a fever for a week, plus some other symptoms, and is now one malaria treatment! Of course, Dawen is likely the most relaxed babe on this planet, and never complained once. I was actually thinking about leaving him back at the hotel with Grandma, but thought what the heck, we'll all go for a totally overpriced taxi ride to the doctors this morning! Good thing I second guessed myself.

Finn is playing in the pool (he does this for about 6 hours a day, then crashed into bed at night!) with Grandma, and I am inside falling asleep on this keyboard! Finn had me in the pool before 8 a.m. today, so I think that I'll sit this one out and try to nap inside with my baby boys.

Wow -- I am just thinking about what I am writing here and realize that I must be super sleep deprived. Beyond their health, not much else matters, except that I have neglected to mention that we have a COURT DATE in Cape Coast next THURSDAY!!!

I plan to head over to the Canadian Embassy on Monday morning to see if I can get a complete list of requirements from the woman handling citizenship & immigration there. Absolutely everyone continues to tell me how brutal our embassy is here, and that I might as well hang up the Christmas stockings because I'll be here a while if I am waiting on anything from the embassy.

Now, that being said, things have a way of working out for us, so perhaps I will go well prepared when I submit my application, and get John Weston's office on the track to ensure a speedy process. Those with political leverage -- give it all you've got!

We'd love to tell you all about Accra, and all of Ghana's beautiful sides, but we've been very limited in terms of our ability to move around. Wee ones will do that to you, especially sick ones. I can tell you that Viggo's pool is awesome, and that the walk from our hotel to Jen's house is lovely. We walk by outdoor kitchens, goats and chickens everywhere, wander down a path with the packed red soil Africa is famous for, then land on a brick sidewalk for a good twenty feet until we reach the gates of Orchid Gardens. Not particularly scenic, but certainly convenient as Finn wants playtime with Viggo pretty much hourly. He has been tough to keep around for snuggles. In fact, Finn has grown up so much on this trip that it breaks my heart a bit to write about it. He is definitely loving his role as a big brother, and proudly puts on a show of his ability to hold his baby brothers (heart in throat when this happens!). I think that the all night crying does get on his nerves, but his response is to say "Mom, my baby brothers are crying again", then he rolls over and goes back to sleep. What a trooper!!!

I hear movement in the crib -- better hustle for a power nap!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea: Thank you for writing about your experiences so far. It sounds like your having an incredible adventure! I hope everything goes well for you at the Embassy. Turns out I'm having breakfast with Michele Jean (and hundreds of other educators) on Sept. 29th - the morning of the 'Me to We' event at GM Place. Let me know if you need her to sort out any bureaucratic red tape for you.

    :)

    IPS will continue to follow your journey and we're committed to continuing our support of Royal Seeds.

    Bye for now,

    Cheers,

    MIchael Simmonds

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! yes, if you could pass on an urgent request to Michele that I need to get my heinie out of here, that'd be much appreciated!!!!

    Will have a bit of a video doc with Naomi and all of the penpals to show you when I get back.

    Naomi went with me to Cape Coast one day... she came back with three babies who had been abandoned. No planning, no notice, we were heading for lunch & a chat about the future of Bowen Shares/IPS/Royal Seed when her phone started ringing and we started driving around Cape Coast to various hospitals to pick up the children.

    All in a days work!

    ReplyDelete