Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Two steppin', literally.

Alright -- big news on the baby front: Will is practicing taking his two steps pretty well all day long now.

But Charlie surprised me yesterday by taking his very first step.

In 24 hours, he has exceeded his brothers practice over the past two weeks. I do believe that Charlie will master walking before Will as his entire awake time (6 hours maybe?) has been dedicated to free standing and wiggling his feet forward. He gets in about two steps before laughter takes over and he lands on his bottom.

Will also thinks this is a great game only he now uses Charlie as a balancing board while he takes his steps.

They spend a lot of time laughing, serious belly laughing, at each other (or with each other). I am beginning to see how the whole twin connection works.

What is new on our return home? Not much, but my brother Ian should become a professional publicist. During the time of global disaster (Haiti) and local media frenzy over the Olympics, our story has managed to take up not an insignificant number of minutes on the CBC!!! There was a 6 o'clock news story, and three CBC radio interviews. Global TV has now called our house, and both of Bowen Islands newspapers are running a lengthy account of what has been going on.

I consider Ian's efforts to be nothing short of heroic. The results have not only been journalistic, but people are now reaching out to us via email and facebook like crazy. Suddenly we've got connections to a vast number of Canadians At The Top. This can only be considered a good thing.

I did what some might feel is a bit of a crazy thing, but desperate times call for drastic measures. I presented myself to the Head of Anti Human Trafficking department at CID (Crimes Investigation Department) here in Ghana. If immigration feels that something fishy is going on with regards to the boys birth mother, then by all means, investigate me.

Funny thing is that when I presented myself to the anti trafficking Unit at CID, the woman made a few phone calls and responded to my presence as "What is the problem, exactly? The department of social welfare knows about the issue with the death certificate? They still recommended a full adoption and still give their authorization for you to leave? What exactly do you need?"

Good question. What exactly do I need? I'm working on that. I guess I need someone to explain to me how I can explain something unexplicable, except to say, in Africa, things like this do happen. In Canada, mistakes in documents happen. They just do. And it happened. So instead of wasting all of this time wondering how on earth I could have possible come by a fake document, can we please just come home now??

I guess not. But I'm working on it. And I will keep you posted.

I'll try uploaded some ridiculously cute video of the boys to keep everyone occupied while I trudge around Accra trying to solve this mystery of mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment